Friday, November 25, 2011

I love my parents and everything, but they are not very good at parenting...how can I respect and appreciate?

them if they are so lacking. I would love to be able to.I love my parents and everything, but they are not very good at parenting...how can I respect and appreciate?
Tiffany,





It is very difficult to answer your question. But, that you would even ask such a question seems to show you have some maturity and patience. My guess is that you are a teenager who is somewhat frustrated with your parents behavior.





If your parents are not very good at parenting because they are abusive or neglectful you may need to seek out another adult whom you can trust to let them know what the trouble is. If your parents are abusive and neglectful, they need help and you need help. And, if you do love them as you say you do, then you must do what you can to find that help.





If you think your parents are not very good at parenting because you don't think they truly understand you and your needs, or are overly protective with their rules for you, then learning to respect and appreciate your parents may require you to learn to see the world through their eyes. This may be difficult because part of the reason you may not see eye to eye is that you have not had the same experiences as your parents, and there is really no way for you to gain those experiences without simply living life longer.





I know teenagers roll their eyes whenever parents and other adults talk about having more experience. But, really, how can your argue with the facts? It is a fact your parents have lived probably two to three times as long as you have. Why shouldn't they have more experience. The fact is that you have lived two to three times as long as a toddler. Don't you have more experience and know more about life than a toddler?





If it is a fact that your parents have considerably more experience than their children, then why are children usually so reluctant to accept and appreciate that experience? Generally, it is because children have a natural urge to make their own decisions and this desire increases as they mature. This urge to take responsibility for our lives is good and natural. It is what helps us to become functioning adults. The problem is that taking responsibility for our lives also means taking full responsibility for our actions. And, as a youth, you may not really be prepared to realize all of the consequences for your choices in life. And, it would not be in your best interest to allow you to get into situations where the consequences of a poor choice have to be suffered.





So, if these are your circumstances and concerns and you want to learn to respect and appreciate your parents, try being a litte more patient. Continue to accept their rules. Try asking them to explain why they make the choices they do for you and for themselves. Don't do this in a defiant way. Repeat back to them in your own words what they have explained, to be sure you understand. I think if you do this two things will happen. First, you will begin to see your parents through different eyes that will make it easier for you to respect and appreciate them. And, second, I think your parents will begin to see you through different eyes. They will see a mature and thoughtful young person who is trying to learn from them and this will increase their trust in you which will give them confidence to let you make more or your own decisions.





Or, maybe this is a whole lot of hoo-haa that has nothing to do with what you were asking. Whatever the case may be, I enjoyed thinking about your question and hope you have success in dealing with your concerns.I love my parents and everything, but they are not very good at parenting...how can I respect and appreciate?
how do you know there not good parents. are you a parent. my kids probably think i a bad parent too. but i don't care because i am not so to be there friend i have to be the adult.
I guess i don't really get what your getting at. Lacking? Where? Do you get a roof over your head? Food in your tummy? Cloths on your back? Do you get an education? Do they give you love? Care? Whats the problem. If its because they don't buy you designer jeans, a pink ipod and cell phone to match, then that is not a problem that they have. If those are the reasons you don't respect them or appreciate them then well little girl, that i really sad.


But if its isnt those reason's then i'm sorry for being harsh about that.


As long as they are giving you what you need and not always what you want, you should respect and appreciate them. They are the only parents you have and one day, they won't always be there for you.


Now if they are drunks and druggies, not saying that they are, then somehow you need to help them.


Good luck and i hope that this is of some help to you.
Well first of all you should have been more specific. In what ways, in your opinion, are they bad parents. The answer really depends. Do they beat you or are they just really strict...perhaps they are to lenient?





If you are able to notice that the parenting skills are lacking than at least maybe you know right from wrong and are able to do good without the higher guidance of your parents.
Unless they beat you or neglect you just be the kid and let the parents do their job. You can appreciate it with the knowledge you have no idea how to be a parent.
YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR ALL THE GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEM AND WHATEVER THEY ARE NOT GOOD WITH YOU SHOULD MABEY HELP THEM . LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU THINK THEY ARE MAKING YOU FEEL LIKE THEY COULD DO A LITTLE BETTER WITH SOME THINGS THAT THEY ARE NOT GOOD WITH.
First, keep telling them you love them. Then, tell them that since you love them so much, you want them to change (or at least consider it). Then say something about you wanting to change yourself, if necessary.





No matter what, keep reminding them that the reason you are saying this is because you love them so much (and trust them) and want to live a happy life with them while you're both young.





Sounds wishy-washy (I know), but you may be able to get it to work.
I don't know how old you are sweetheart but, I'm sure if you're in high school you don't have much longer to go. Just suck it up and get ready to graduate. My parents thought they were the best and they weren't...they ALWAYS argued and FOUGHT in front of my brother and I. Now they wonder why I don't want my kids over at their house when they are arguing all of the time. I grew up scared and I didn't want my kids to. So when you have a family of your own...you will know a little better of what not and what to do.
I know how you are feeling. I love my mum but have absolutely no respect for her... she sucked at parenting and I had one hell of a stuffed up childhood. I am making things right with my own kids now though, I swore I would never raise my kids how I was raised and I am doing my best to make sure they don't experience anything that I did when I was younger. They are healthy, well rounded and great kids and this is my payback for my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment