Friday, July 30, 2010

Is it good parenting if you say ';you live in my house under my rules';?

Shouldn't parents just say ';I'm your Mom/Dad so you have to listen to me cause I know more'; or ';I'm older and more experienced than you';.Is it good parenting if you say ';you live in my house under my rules';?
Actually neither is really a good parent.





Explaining why the rules are there and consistently enforcing them.Is it good parenting if you say ';you live in my house under my rules';?
Since I am head of household I do set rules which for every member to obey. As long as they reasonable (do not walk in street shoes on carpet, clean after yourself, if you delayed - call etc) nothing wrong if I remind someone who forget about them. Do that because I am (older, a dad/mother etc) is not exactly good. Better explanation needed ASAP. Say call home if you late not because I am dad, but because someone at home may be worried


Edit: Why do you have to escalate situation to this point? You live in the house, you know the rules. If you do not understand, politely ask for explanation when emotions cool off


Edit: To Naomi: You live the house and go where???
If at all possible parents should provide a logical explanation, such as you can't jump on the bed as you may get hurt, you must be quiet in stores so you don't annoy other people, and you must be home by whatever time because the city curfew law demands it. Any reason that is simply a form of ';because I said so.'; should be used when it is not possible to give a logical explanation.
I do not think so. I think that you have to communicate with your kids. Things are not as simple as do it, I know best. It is unreasonable and frustrating to the kids. I will listen to their side but I still make the rules. Sometimes it does need to be looked at from their point of view.
yup Parents should say';I'm your Mom/Dad so you have to listen to me cause I know more'; or ';I'm older and more experienced than you';. because if my mom said ';you live in my house under my rules would'; I would have left the house!!!
yes..u should! i think kids nowadays too spoilt that they lack of respect to their parents..and talk about kids right. i dont believe in kids right. kids should always listent o their parents.
Yes, you absolutely right!..that's what good parenting does.
definitely your doing your joband doing it for the better. In a way they need to know who's ';boss';
sure
that's what they should do

No comments:

Post a Comment