Friday, July 30, 2010

What is attachment parenting?

and what are the benefits?What is attachment parenting?
Hi Sweetie!


http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t13030鈥?/a>





not every attachment parenting skill is the same though.


I do everything but sleep in the same bed and I quit breast feeding and use disposable diapers, Lol. I still dont CIO and I wear my baby. mix it to fit your family.What is attachment parenting?
Attachment parenting, a phrase coined by pediatrician William Sears,[1] is a parenting philosophy based on the principles of the attachment theory in developmental psychology. According to attachment theory, a strong emotional bond with parents during childhood, also known as a secure attachment, is a precursor of secure, empathic relationships in adulthood. Failure to form this early childhood parental bond will ostensibly give rise to reactive attachment disorder, the symptoms of which are defined differently by Attachment Parenting International[2] and the DSM-IV definition.[citation needed]





Many proponents of attachment parenting as conceived by Sears seek to distance themselves from the attachment parenting that is sometimes used as an adjunct to attachment therapy[3]. However, the term ';attachment parenting'; itself is increasingly co-opted by proponents of controversial techniques conventionally associated with attachment therapy such as Nancy Thomas [4], whose AP methods differ from those of William Sears.
The parent/child bond is a critical foundation for a parent's and child's developing relationship. The quality of this attachment affects a parent's ability to comfort a child and for the child to be comforted by the parent, to discipline, to nurture, etc. For various reasons, new parents sometimes have trouble ';bonding'; or ';attaching'; with a young child. When that happens, attachment parenting is appropriate to help the bonding to occur and to develop.
The first time I asked the question I googled it and found out that most of the things suggested I did anyways already:


Breastfeeding, not letting my child cry herself into sleep, which requires sometimes co-sleeping and child wearing, making my own baby food, cloth diapering. A lot of these options I chose simply because they were cheaper or more practical than the alternative.


I didn't manage elimination communication, that is sensing ahead of time, when baby has a bowel movement coming and holding baby over the toilet in time. However, that's not an essential part of attachment parenting.


Gentle discipline and homeschooling are not much of an issue yet, since my daughter is just 10 months old.I'm planning on the first one, but haven't made up my mind on the second one yet.


So to me it seems Attachment Parenting is pretty much normal, loving parenting with a fancy name attached to it.
Attachment parenting is a way of letting your child be attached to you not a new concept, although there are varying degrees of it.


Some include but aren't limited to:


Cloth diapering, baby wearing, breast feeding, gentle discipline, co-sleeping, non circumcising, non vaccinating, preservative free organic diets, home schooling.





There are some great attachment parenting groups on cafemom if you have more questions.


Socially the children are aloud to develop at their own pace and their own needs are met more, a baby that is left in its crib to cry its self to sleep does not gain trust from its parents but feels alone and neglected, in return causing trauma and developmental delays (just as an example) nourishing your childs strengths and helping them through their weaknesses with love and care is what god had in mind for us mothers.
Attachment parents usually breastfeed, co sleep, baby wear, sometimes use cloth diapers or teach sign language to their babies. Their babies are usually ';attached'; to them most of the time. Not usually in a stroller or baby chair.





There are definately benefits for mom and baby. I find that when I'm wearing my twin 4 month old boys they are happier and so am I because I can get more things done. My 3 year old son seemed more secure with the AP lifestyle.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T13030鈥?/a>





i never heard of it either, but check this out
I know one thing there cut baby';s take care of then and love them from the heart nothing more
read Dr. Sear's ';The Baby Book';
baby siiting 30$ a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment