Saturday, August 21, 2010

Help me! What are some old wives tales, or old parenting techniques??

I was talking to a realitive the other day about my son.. and they told me ';if you feed the baby cereal before bed, they sleep better';





I've heard of the wiskey on the gums of a teething baby .... and of course, If you rub a newborns head, it will go back into shape.





What are some other old parenting techniques... or wives tales you know of?Help me! What are some old wives tales, or old parenting techniques??
There was a time when putting baby to sleep on their tummy was the thing to do...... :(Help me! What are some old wives tales, or old parenting techniques??
Hmm, let me just think about all of the BAD advice I got from my mother in law:


Put babies on tummy to sleep (because babies choke if put on their backs).


Put butter on burns.


Cereal in the bottle at an early age.


Babies cry just to ';exercise their lungs.';


Babies need to be bundled up in warm clothes, even when indoors.


';Crying it out'; won't hurt babies. http://www.sleepnet.com/infant3/messages鈥?/a>


Babies need soft bedding and fluffy bumpers on the crib.
Put honey or condensed milk on the pacifier so the baby will calm down.





Don't pick her up, she's spoiled.





Put some wool from the blankie on the baby's forehead to stop the hiccups.





Don't breastfeed so often or they baby won't eat real food (!!!)





Btw, many people are still using those ';techniques';.
the spare the rod, and spoil the children.
when your kid is teething, cut the bottoms and tops off a green onion and let them suck on it.





i don't remember WHO I heard if from...but it helps with her pain, is cold AND she can't chew off pieces.





The cereal thing will just make him have a fussy tummy if he's not ready for it yet. Hold off on that.
Hmm... I was under the impression that brandy on their gums really did help with teething pain. :)





Similar to cereal, I've heard the same thing with non flavored yogurt.





Other than that, the major old wives tales I can think of have to do with feeding a baby: make sure to start with veggies first, specifically orange ones. I've heard that this helps prevent a sweet tooth, helps them learn how to eat better and who knows what else. Breast milk is already sweeter than most fruits, and jarred baby food, infant cereal, and infant juice being necessary is in my opinion and old wives tale.
I've heard all of them, that u have listed.My grandmother ,said use rice water(water off of rice)suppose to help belly aches.My mother did this but over fed me and i threw up but didnt have a belly ache.Baby teething gine them a stripped rib or chicken bone.i baby sitted for my friend gave her baby a rib bone, she cried every time she dropped it!!LOL! My friend laughed because she never heard of it.I gave my son cereal he done fine,My daughter stomache wasnt ready for it.Try it !!Goe with ur judgement!!Hope this helps!!
Letting them stand causes bowleggedness





Smacking the bottoms of their feet makes them grow





Crying is good for babies/develops their lungs/is the only exercise they get.





And there is something about pointing them east/west to make them sleep but I can never remember which way the head is supposed to go.
my grandmother always tried to get me to put whiskey in the baby's bottle and that was supposed to help the baby sleep. Obviously no one should ever do it
Burn out a fever...So dangerous.
  • lipcolor
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment