Saturday, August 21, 2010

Is this bad or good parenting?

I saw a young father in the store this morning; his two year old kid was pulling stuff off the shelves and tossing them. He stopped him and said ';No! You can not do that.'; Then the child started to cry and throw a temper tamtrum, and the father picked-up the child, held him and told him how ';sweet, nice, well behaved'; etc.


I figured he should have told the child was a naughty little punk he is.Is this bad or good parenting?
Why would he reward the child for having a tantrum after being told not to do something that was wrong. That is bad parenting to me. Explains a lot about the stuff thats going on in society now a days with people raising their kids like that.


Cry and get rewarded for doing something wrong... yeah thats a good message.Is this bad or good parenting?
Being a mother of four children, I went through a lot of temper tantrums, or as they call it today, ';melt downs';. They usually were in the grocery stores, so I would stop what I was doing, leave the basket of groceries, take the child, drive home, put him in his room and let him yell or whatever he did with the door closed. When he was finished, I would sit down and explain how his behavior was unacceptable, why, and take something that mattered away. When my kids were two and three, explaining and lecturing did absolutely no good, so I would drive home with them crying in their car seat, take them, put them in their bed and tell them to stay there until they were finished. Half the time I had to hold them in their room until they settled down; this is when they were two and under. It is tough being a parent and trying to do six things at once while trying to discipline them.
well i guess 2 is very young my 19 month olds the same way hes still my little baby they dont really understand they think they can have everything at that age now if he wasa older be a different question but tamtrums at 2 are very normal
i say that was bad parenting. That kid is going to grow up to be a little brat. I woulda spanked him. When i was a kid we just didn't do stuff like that or your a$$ was grass.
this is very bad parenting he will regret these actions later trust me.
It's not good parenting, that's for sure. But neither is your alternative. If you were asking for parenting tips I would give them, but that's not your question.





Try not to be so nosy, and let people raise their kids. What would you have done if you knew you were 100% right, and he was 100% wrong? The same thing you did - nothing. The polite thing to do would be to give them a look of understanding and/or go to another part of the store and give them their space, not think of what names they should be calling their children.
He should have told the child that throwing things off the shelves is bad behavior and is not allowed. He should have had the child help him pick up the mess.


Telling him that he is a ';naughty little punk'; is just as bad as reassuring him in that situation. For one, it is a self-fulfilling prophecy and for another it's counter-productive. You don't teach him how to accept responsibility that way, and that is the point that needs to come across.
If he had told the kid he was a ';naughty little punk'; or spanked him, you'd be one here saying what a horrible father he is for abusing his kid. You probably don't even have kids so how about holding judgment until you are in his shoes.
Its a very different outlook on parenting...I know when my 3 year old would do something like that I would not tell them they were good girls...I wouldnt beat them either, but talking like that is giving in to their activity.
bad. it is inconsistent. it tells the kid if he throws a fit he gets reassured. i don't think you should call kids names but thy also need to know pulling things off shelves and temper tantrums are not OK behaviour.
In my opinion, that's bad parenting. You don't reward a child for negative behavior. He was very correct in telling the boy ';No';. Once the kid started throwing his temper tantrum though, I would have sat his butt in the shopping cart and went on shopping. I know other people think that you should ';shut that kid up';, but I believe in ignoring the bad behavior. He just wanted attention and the father was giving him EXACTLY what he wanted. In the boys mind, temper tantrums work, so he's going to keep doing it. When my son does things like that he's either put into the shopping cart and ignored, taken to the bathroom to be given a stern talking to, or (if its somewhere recreational) we just simply leave and he doesn't get to play anymore. Temper tantrums don't last long in my house. lol
Since you're not the parent of the child it doesn't matter what you figured he should have told the child.
Well, its not BAD parenting. Sounds like you dont have kids. If you are mean to the child, it only makes the tantrum worse. I, personally, wouldn't do that myself. Seems kind of silly, but hey, if thats the way he wants to raise his son, oh well. It's not your child.
thats weird ummmm i have neva seen a guy like dat
I would have punished the child, but not in public. I would have waited till we got home and would have taken a privelidge of some kind from him for awhile. Children need to be made accountable for their actions in some way. That is why we have more problem kids than ever before today. Would I hit the child? No.
well kudos to the guy for having patience but i wouldnt go so far as to tell the kid he was well behaved lol
haha sounds to me like he was just trying to hold in his anger, while in public, that child may have heard something different when they got to the car
I think the father should stick with his original opinion. He should NOT go and pretty much tell the child to do it again.





I feel sorry for the father. He was put in a tough situation. That guy was probably really embarrassed. He just tried to keep the kid calm. You can't put kids in time-outs at the store. I wonder what happened when they got HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment