Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Who's your favorite parenting expert and why?

the good news ... and the bad news ... is that we all *are* the experts, at least with respect to our own kids. it's that frightening realization that there aren't set, definite answers to parenting any more than there are to morals or other aspects of our lives. we just have to figure it out as we go along.





that said, of course i look to the wisdom of people who have also been through it or who have seen large numbers of kids and so can speak to general trends and what works for the majority of kids. most (but not all) of the parents i know have some wisdom to offer that i've found helpful. some (but not all) of the parents on this board, do, too. so do some (but not all) of the authors of parenting books i've read. you take a bit from here and a bit from there.





and then you end up mostly going with your mom or your spouse, lol.Who's your favorite parenting expert and why?
My mom. She is intelligent, knowledgeable, full of common sense, and caring.





All the best.Who's your favorite parenting expert and why?
I don't have one. I think I do a good job though.
Dr spock because as the first poster said there's no one right answer and he agrees with that. He gives advice and suggestions but his main theory is to go wit the flow, do what you feel comfortable with and you know what's best for your baby. x
I love the Sears family. The stories that they tell of their older children interacting with the younger ones, and going out into the world, are beautiful - exactly what I'd love to see in my own family.
My mom. There is not another. :-)
I don't follow your definition of experts. It is about instinct and common sense in my opinion, and I don't need books to tell me how to raise my son.





My hero(ine) is my own mother. She died last month just before my 21st birthday, very suddenly and far too young. I never realised what a great mum she was until it was too late, and too late to tell her. She was never the most conventional of mothers, but now she is gone, I have a huge gaping hole in my life, and I am missing so much. Appreciate those closest to you, and make sure you tell them, I'd give anything to get my true parenting hero back to let her know how fabulous she was.
There is no parenting expert. If parenting experts really existed, then there would be an end all, be all solution to raising children and to disciplining children that would work 100% of the time for all children and there is just no such thing.





As far as role models maybe? I really look up to my parents, my husband's parents and some close friends. As a Christian also, I believe in the teachings of Christ so I also look to Him for guidance in my journey known as parenthood :) I know not everyone believes in Him, but I do and He is an awesome God.
i'll take my own hands on loving, correcting, praising, punishing, Parents


i take pride in the job they did, and count my blessing that i was truly


brought up and not dragged up like so many in today's society.


There is no hand book of do's and don'ts its all on the job training

No comments:

Post a Comment